Home | Subscriptions | Classifieds | Submit News | Contact | Links | Jennings County Living
North Vernon Plain Dealer Sun | North Vernon, IN
"It Shines for All!"North Vernon, IndianaLocally Owned and Operated Since 1862
North Vernon, Indiana, weather forecast
weather sponsored by


August 9, 2020

5/20/2020 12:19:00 PM
100 Years Ago
Churchgoers standing outside of the Hopewell Methodist Church near Commiskey. The church was behind the Hopewell Cemetery that can be seen from Hwy 3 South. -Photo from Betty Manning
+ click to enlarge
Churchgoers standing outside of the Hopewell Methodist Church near Commiskey. The church was behind the Hopewell Cemetery that can be seen from Hwy 3 South. -Photo from Betty Manning
Tracy Eder

Please note that with the shutdown, only 1 paper was available to the columnist, the Plain Dealer. Also: not every town or area had a correspondent submit writings every week.

100 Years Ago
Plain Dealer
May 13, 1920

Fatal Accident

Karl Kinnear, aged about 33 years, was badly injured in an accident at the J.M. Stearns & Son saw mill two miles east of Dupont Monday morning. He was caught under a log which rolled from a wagon and his body was so badly crushed that death resulted a few hours later.

Although there were several persons nearby when the accident occurred, no one was an eye witness, but the best explanation of the accident that can be had is that Mr. Kinnear had loaded the log on the wagon and was stooping to adjust the chain when the log rolled off catching him beneath it.

Men at work in the mill and woods ran to his assistance but when the
unfortunate man was taken from beneath the log, it was discovered that many bones were broken and his body badly crushed. Physicians from Dupont and Madison were called but very little could be done to relieve him. The accident happened at 10:30 in the morning and his death occurred at his home at Dupont at 9:30 o'clock Monday night. He is survived by his wife and two children.

Mrs. Richard King, who resides just east of this city, was injured while driving with a horse and buggy on 5th St. early Wednesday morning. The horse became unruly and in lurching threw Mrs. King out of the buggy, causing her a hard fall on the brick street. She suffered bad bruises but no broken bones.

George Rosenberger, the 13 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Al Rosenberger, fell from a bicycle this morning and suffered bad bruises and cuts on his face.

Some person with a poor sense of honesty and honor and a high appreciation of young fowl in these days of high cost of living walked away with five young goslings blooming to Ernest Willman, Tuesday. It is believed that the thief picked up the goslings and put them into an automobile as a car was seen backing up the lane near where the goslings were kept shortly before Mr. Willman discovered that they were gone.

Rev. D.D. Davis, pastor of the Mission Church of this city, and proprietor of the Davis' Paint Store, suffered a nervous breakdown Sunday morning and for a time his condition was serious but since that time his condition has greatly improved and he is recovering rapidly.

Mr. Davis' many friends who were grieved to hear of his sudden illness will be glad to know that.a few days rest have placed him on the road to rapid recovery.

The following students will be graduated form the Scipio High School at the commencement exercises which will be held at eight o'clock Tuesday evening, May 18th: Mary O. Bundy, Eunice I. Rudicel, Mary A. Parcel, Fritz R. Parcel, and Ruth M. Shields. The class motto is "Not Finished but Just Begun." The class colors are gray and old rose and the class flower is the pink rose.

Joseph Isaac Reynolds, aged 85 years, died at the home of his granddaughter, Mrs. Homer Harlow at about 7 o'clock Saturday evening, May 8, after a short illness of pneumonia. Mr. Reynolds became ill at this home in this city and as he lived alone, it was thought best to take him to his granddaughter's home where he could be better cared for. At first his illness was not considered serious, but pneumonia developed and he lasted but a few days.

Mrs. Ed Williams, a former resident of this city, died Monday, May 10, at the Reed Hospital at Richmond where she had been taken from her home at Bloomington three weeks before for a surgical operation. Her death was due to blood poisoning following a mastoid operation which became necessary on account of an affliction which she suffered as a result of an attack of influenza. She had a large circle of friends here who are grieved over her death and extend sympathy to the bereaved husband.

Alfred Nealis, aged 66 years, died at his home on the Hayden Pike west of this city Saturday, May 8. Funeral service was held at the residence Sunday afternoon and the burial took place in the City Cemetery.

Samuel Smith, aged 81 years, dropped dead in a store at Westport Monday, May 10. The funeral was held at Westport Wednesday. He was formerly a resident of Sardinia but in recent years had lived at Westport.

North Vernon
Joseph W. Verbarg has sold his residence property on N. State Street to James Smith, who will move his family there as soon as the house is vacated. Mr. Verbarg's family is moving this week to the Verbarg homestead on 4th St. James Riddle and family, who have vacated the Verbarg property have purchased the property owned by Thomas Brolley at the corner of Fourth and German streets.

Mrs. Harvey Harmon visited at Columbus Saturday.

Mr. and Mrs. Earl Hersche and baby of Niles, Ohio, are here for a visit with relatives.

Miss Ruth Day, daughter of Sherman Day, is very proud of a gift which she recently received from Indian Chief Bacon Rind of Oklahoma. The gift is a fine woolen Indian b blanket of beautiful design. The Indian Chief saw the girl's picture and learned her name through a friend of hers who is living in Oklahoma and he sent her the blanket and his picture.

Miss May Keith spent Saturday and Sunday with relatives at Westport.
Among those who attended the Derby races at Louisville Saturday were: O.G. Price, R.T. Hudson, A.E. Hutton, C.A. Davis, Asa Brumblay, Dave Roush, and L.S. Shockley.

Miss Ruby Barrows spent Sunday with relatives at Columbus.

Mrs. Sam Wolfinger and Mrs. E.L. Bay attended the funeral of Mrs. Farran at Queensville Friday.

Mrs. Thomas Wickens left Monday for Lawrenceville, Ill., to visit her husband who is employed there.

D.D. Richman and family of near Dupont, Charles Richman and family of Weston and Mrs. Herbert Short of this place were Sunday dinner guests of William Short and family.

Hallie Thomas and Lena Vance were shopping at North Vernon on

Aloise Davis visited Elizabeth Layman on Friday.

T.L. Thomas and wife are staying with R.V. Thomas and wife until they can move to their future home in North Vernon.

Willard Hoffman has been on the sick list but is reported better.

Lonesome Corner
Harry Collins and family, who have been in California for the past nine months, returned home Saturday.

Charles Jeffries and wife, Mrs. Mary Jeffries and granddaughter, Miss Edith Jeffries, of Indianapolis, came here Saturday to visit Silas Cathey and wife.

John Bindhammer and family went to Holton Monday to attend the funeral of Mr. Bindhammer's father.

Mrs. Anna Starkey and daughter, Ida, were at Butlerville recently.

Mr. Cheney and wife called on John Wilson and family recently.

Mr. And Mrs. Robert Mosley were week end guests of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Curtis.

Mrs. Charles Curtis was the guest of Mrs. Anna Tripp at North Vernon Saturday.

Mrs. George Jones has moved her household goods from Columbus here and will occupy the Wilbur property.

Mr. and Mrs. George Vawter were at North Vernon Wednesday.

Armstrong Barkley and wife were shopping at North Vernon Wednesday.

George Turner was a business visitor at North Vernon Wednesday.

Mrs. Frank Stearns is seriously ill again.

Clyde Dennerlein and sister, Miss Lula, attended commencement and visited with Will Cathers and family at Hope Tuesday and Wednesday.

Granma Farran passed away Wednesday of last week. Funeral services were held at the church here Friday morning by Rev. Fired Davis of
Charlestown. Burial took place in Queensville cemetery.

Rabbit Plains
This neighborhood was shocked over the death of Carl Kinnear near Dupont Monday. His death was caused by a big log rolling off a wagon on him. A widow and three children survive.

Mr. and Mrs. Terrell Tatem are moving in the house just backed by Brocks just over the line in Jefferson County.

Mrs. Albert Fewell received a box of fine carnations form her daughter, Mrs. Peal Heid who lives at Franklin last Saturday for Mother's Day.

The Baker girls and Edna Kraus attended Sunday school at Marble last Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. Richard Grinstead spent Sunday with her parents, Mr. and MRs. C. Dear.

Fish Creek
Mrs. Roger Pence, who spent several weeks with relatives at Edinburg has returned home.

Charles Reasoner started his new tractor Monday.

C.W. Thompson is improving his farm by having some expert fence builders put up some wire fences.

Klein Brothers & Company bought a young team of horses from A. Hutton recently.

J.R. Kane sold a fine load of hogs to James Marsh last week.

Sim Day is still on the sick list.

Mrs. Alice Elliott and son, Charles, spent Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. Carl Elliott.

Mr. and Mrs. James Price have rented rooms of Labert Laherty and moved there on Monday.

Mrs. Etta Beck and two daughters, Carrie and Mildred, were Sunday guests at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Beck.

The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Ray Spry of Indianapolis died on Wednesday night. Mrs. Edith Ross accompanied the body here on Thursday evening and it was buried in the Butlerville Cemetery on Friday morning.

Mr. and Mrs. Silas Moore and son George were at North Vernon on business Saturday.

Harry Tucker and family and Ben Amsden and family of Westport have moved into the rooms in the Wagner block formerly occupied by Russell Chaille as a barber shop.

Mr. and Mrs. James Matthews, Mrs. Susan Gray, Mr. and Mrs. Jake Davis and family were Sunday guests at the home of Riney need near Hopewell.

Miss Lucy King met with quite a serious accident on Tuesday of last week. As she was getting off the train at Vernon, the heel of her shoe caught on the step of the car which threw her causing a sprained ankle and an injured knee. It was very painful and she suffered quite a bit but is now some better.

Miss Agnes Conboy, who has been in Miami, Florida, for more than a year had been sick for several weeks and then she fell and hurt herself. Her father, John Conboy, went to Florida and accompanied her home. They arrived here Thursday morning and then took her to her home at Rush Branch.

Ash Lane
T.L. Thomas and wife will move to North Vernon Monday. They have been spending the last weeks with Ralph Thomas and wife.

Will Poole of North Vernon visited Charles Johnson and family Sunday.

People seem to be having bad luck with young colts as Fred Perry and Clifford Hartwell each had one to die last week.

Jessie James made a business trip to North Vernon Saturday.

Erby Deputy has returned home after teaching the high school of Marion Township.

Mr. And Mrs. Ed Lewis spent Sunday with relatives at Hayden.

Mr. and Mrs. George Hill very pleasantly entertained a number of people at their home Thursday night with a surprise party for their son, Herman, it being his 19th birthday anniversary. The evening was spent in music and dancing and a luncheon of sandwiches, pickles, and cake was served. All enjoyed a good time.

Francis Lewis left last week for Indianapolis where he has employment.
Florence Beeman spent Thursday with their grandparents at Deer Creek.

Marion Carson spent Sunday at Seymour visiting his brother, Ed Carson and family.

Mr. and Mrs. W.T. Riley entertained several friends Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. Jack Wilson and daughters were Sunday guests of Mr. and Mrs. Perry Beck in the Ebenezer neighborhood.

Two Mile
Mr. And Mrs. Denford Phillips are visiting at the home of the latter's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Otto Funke.

Miss Lena Galyen left Tuesday for Pittsburg to live with her aunt during the summer.

Those who visited at the home of Grant Wire Sunday were Mr. and Mrs. Bert Brooks and family of near Columbus. mr. and Mrs. F.M. Wire of Elizabethtown, Miss Blanch Day, Robert Day, and Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Pettit and family.

Bennetts Branch
Lett Herring, a life long resident of this place died Wednesday after an illness of several months. Funeral services were held from the Bear Creek Baptist Church interment in the Bear Creek Cemetery.

Article Comment Submission Form
Please feel free to submit your comments.

Article comments are not posted immediately to the Web site. Each submission must be approved by the Web site editor, who may edit content for appropriateness. There may be a delay of 24-48 hours for any submission while the web site editor reviews and approves it.

Note: All information on this form is required. Your telephone number is for our use only, and will not be attached to your comment.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Last Name:
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.

Advanced Search

Sawyer Pickett
IN Cov
Nat Head
Hensley Don Herr Estate
House Web Advertising
A1 Taxi
Mensendiek 8-12-20

© 2012 North Vernon Plain Dealer and Sun
PO Box 988, 528 East O&M Ave
North Vernon, IN 47265
Telephone 812.346.3973
All images on this site are property of the North Vernon Plain Dealer and Sun and may not be reproduced without consent of the publisher.

Software © 1998-2020 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved